Saturday, October 23, 2010

Get involved today!!!!!

Although I find multiple exclamation points to be overkill, and un necessary, I still like using them.  It reminds me of the days of leaving feed back for other EBay users.  I knew people who would refuse to buy from someone selling stuff on eBay if they only had an A+ instead of an A+++++++++++.
Still though, my favorite quote of almost all time:  "Why, you ask? because overkill is underrated."  That's why my favorite movies of all time ubiquitously use explosions.  Also, the for the same reason, I love watching Mythbusters.  If they don't get the results they were looking for, they "ramp it up" until they do.  One word; Awesome!
Anyway, I'm looking for help on several projects.  Most of these projects I want to do just to prove they can be done.
I wrote a little bit about one project, the Permanent magnet generator.  Another project I'm working on is my classic 1970's era muscle car.  Why a 70's muscle car you ask?  Because they are relatively cheap, easy to come by, and when they were first made they were incredibly bad at being fuel efficient.
My goal: convert my 1974 muscle car from a gas guzzler to an uber efficient fuel sipper.  When I first got the thing (which I inherited really for next to nothing), I planned on converting it in to a drag racing power monster.  I didn't really want to make it a daily driver, I wanted to get as much power from it as possible.  I wanted it to go super fast, and only in one direction, straight.  While road race cars with incredible handling actually appeal to me more than a drag race car, the drag race car would be incredibly cheaper.  I wouldn't have to modify the suspension much, or worry about handling around a corner.  Torsion bars, suspension and traction systems can cost a lot of money that I don't have.  So, going straight, as fast as possible was it.
But then one day, I started  looking at buying a new car.  I was starting a new job, with a killer commute.  I've got a decent care, with good gas mileage, except it needs a news transmission (it wont shift in to 4th gear).  I took it to the shop, and was told by two different places, it would cost me more than the car was worth to get it fixed.
I looked at fuel efficient cars mainly.  I wanted my commute to be as economical as possible.  I was already going to have a larger car payment and more insurance for buying a new car, so I didn't want commuting to cost me a fortune.  I went first to the VW dealership here in town.  VW sells a pretty economical motor in several of their cars.  They call it a TDI.  It's a diesel motor that is rated at 42 mpg.  Most people I know claim this is a very conservative estimate as they normally get around 50 miles to the gallon.  The same dealership also sold BMW so just for fun, I went and checked out the BMW diesel model, I was really impressed but didn't want to spend more than $50k on a car (well really, I can't afford to make payments on that much).  So after seeing the fuel efficient V-dubs I headed over to the Ford dealership and test drove their Hybrid.  Let me tell you, I am not impressed at all by it.  In fact, I am convinced that most hybrid technology is cool, but an out right highway robbery!  It was way more expensive for the hybrid, and worst of all, it was less fuel efficient that the diesel!!!!!   Not only was I cramped in the car, it was more expensive, and got less fuel efficiency than the diesel.  Don't even get me started on the Prius, or the Volt.  Ultimately, for comfort I decided to stick with my 1985 Chevy Blazer.  I get really really bad gas mileage.  It's somewhere between 10-12 miles per gallon but unlike the new fuel efficient vehicle of 2010 and 2011, I can fit.  I'm not really that big of a guy either.  At only 6'2"  I'm only slightly taller than average.  Still though, its like they made the new cars to only fit average height people.  In my blazer, I've got no car payment and my insurance is cheap.  The amount I would pay for a car payment, and for insurance is easily eclipsed by the price I pay in gas.
So, the object is to collect the things that would allow me to build my own fuel efficient vehicle that has power, handling, good gas mileage and the looks of a classic muscle car.  Instead of turning my muscle car in to a dragster, I want to turn it in to a daily commuter, and one I could take to the strip on the weekend.  I want to do it all for as little money as possible, mostly just to show the big car companies out there that it can be done.
What can you do to help me achieve my goal?  I want a clean diesel motor and power train that I can fit in to my 1974 Nova.  The Nova was originally equipped with a small block Chevy (funny thing is even though it's a "small block" by today's standards, it's actually pretty big).  I want to modify it to use a clean diesel.  Once upon a time, GM made a 6.2 liter diesel motor that would fit a GM transmission.  That means I would be easily able to drop it in to place, and hook up the rear drive shaft and mostly everything would just bolt on.  However, my neighbor is a mechanic, and has been for 33 years.  He's also used to build race motors.  He knows what it takes to get power, and when he says that the 6.2 liter is a dog, I trust his judgement.  I wouldn't mind it if someone out there has one that has been completely rebuilt and overhauled, or one I could rebuild with racing parts, or a wrecked pickup with a smaller diesel motor, I would gladly take it.  What I really want though is the diesel from the new BMW 335d.  It has more than 300 hp, and still gets really good gas mileage.  That also means I would need a transmission for the same car.  So, if anyone knows of a BMW 335d out there that is wrecked, and can donate it let me know.  I would like to get it as inexpensively as possible since it is for an experimental, educational project (my crowdsource eco innovation project).

No comments:

Post a Comment